Hit Counter

Monday, February 20, 2006

Paddy Power Madness...

I decided after winning the Irish Open Feeder ticket, and the Drogheda ticket, that I was going to give online another go. I've haven't played regularly in a few months, and it did me the world of good.

My live game has improved greatly due to the absence of online play, and stress that it causes. So why am I going back to play online? I don't know really... boredom? I think I cant control my tilt a lot better, and once I don't get too annoyed about bad beats and TERRIBLE players, I think I can make a steady profit.

However, I am still amazed by online play. The first time I sat down for a small session of STT's, I had a poker rivered by a higher poker, as mentioned in the previous post. My reaction to this was very stange, as it didn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me though was that I didn't get annoyed about it and go on tilt. Hopefully this means that I have my tilt under (some) control. However, only time will tell.

Amazingly, as I write this, I am playing a few STT's on PPP. Look what just happened...


Yes, thats me getting beaten by a ROYAL FLUSH. I pushed on the the flop and when I got two callers I had a feeling I was up against it. Am I behind here?

I think its because I still don't take this seriously... I have played about 2 hours online this week, and have had more crazy hands than the last few months playing live. Should I go back to playing something that I can't take seriously?

Jesus Christ, this is amazing. I am absolutely dumbfounded by this game... Now this isin't me moaning, I'm dishing out the bad beat here.... but still...


I don't want this to turn into me moaning about bad beats, but I hope my dilemma is clear. I want to start playing online again, as I feel I can make a profit, and I really want to win a few tickets into bigger games. However, I know that I am still not taking this seriously. Hands like these crop up WAY to often for my liking, and I don't know how to deal with them. In a live game, when something like this happens, you're on a buzz for a while. But in online, it's as if I can't relax for a second before something else happens. I find this very offputting and its hard to concentrate on the game.

I can afford to throw a few hundred into my account, and see what I can do with it. I have moved up to $15 and $25 STT's and the standard is slightly better. Although you seemingly still find terrible players at every level. I was knocked out of the Irish Open game last night by the aptly named 'a horse', who decided that 10 5 was a good enough hand to push on. I think 'a fish' or 'a donkey' would perhaps be a better name...


Anyway, this post seems to have derailed somewhat due to me playing PPP at the same time! Although it did sort of reinforce my point. In the ten minutes that I have been writing this I have been in some crazy hands. I think I'm going to just have to learn to expect this when I sit down to play online. It seems to be working, as I have won 6 out of the 13 STT's I played in, and cashed in a further three. Ah well, we'll soon find out if I can get my head around this online lark...

EDIT: Fuck it, I can't handle this. I really thought I had gotten past getting annoyed about this, but it turns out PPP didn't need very long to really get under my skin. I was playing 4 STT's and 1 MTT. A mixture of terrible beats and mind-bogglingly bad players had seen me bubble in two of the STT's, get knocked out in 6th in the other after having 50% of the chips in play, and get knocked out of the last STT and MTT... all in under 2 minutes.

How can anybody enjoy this? It is absolutely disgusting. If you get bored by bad beats just scan over this, I just have to get it off my chest...

STT 1: AK beaten by A2 on KK4 flop. Turn 3 river 5. He calls an all in on the flop... DONKEY NUMBER 1.

STT 2: I push with 6 7 on 8 9 10 flop. Called by KK. Turn J. River Q. FUCKING PPP.

STT 3: I'm CL Sitting on 5K. On tilt from the from getting knocked out of 2 STT's in last 20 seconds. I fuck up and 10 hands later I'm out. Probably my fault for not controlling my tilt...

STT 4: Starting to get pissed off now, I get aces and almost fold, thinking I need a break. Player goes all in ahead of me. I fcuking know I'm going to lose.. I call anyway. AJ. .... turn J. river J. AGHGHHGHGHGGHGHGHG!!!!!

MTT: I'm out of my chair now ready to throw the mouse through the screen. I pick up AK and hit top pair on K 4 5 flop. I don't even want to play anymore so I just fuck all the chips in. Get called by 66. hmmmm turn A, river 6. WHAT IS THAT? DONKEY! DONKEY!

I have had a stress free time the last few months and STUPIDLY decided to give online another go. It took all of two days to get me straight back to pulling my hair out. Some of the retarded fuckbags that play online.... jesus christ, how do they tie their laces in the morning?? I'm not going to let myself get stressed out again over this pointless, waste of time, EXCUSE for poker. I just cannot understand how you are meant to be consistent at this. There is so much fucking luck involved that I just can't see where the skill comes into it...

COMEBACK OVER


Comments:
Your a loser.
 
Hey Rory, you definitely need to lay off the online play! It's just isn't what you're good at - you're an excellent live player, I think you should stick to that.
 
Your a gas man!.
Surely your hair is to short for you to pull out?.
Surely 6 wins from 13 should make up for those beats and some Rory?. Im mean 6 from 13 thats seriously good surely good enough to be able to get over bad beats?.
 
Cheers Paul,
Yeh, I don't know why I decided to give it another shot. I just can't get my head around it.

I very rarely get stressed or go on tilt in a live game, but an hour on PPP and I'm ready to throw my comp out the window!

I saw more bad beats and ridiculous hands in 20 minutes online than I have in the last 3/4 months in live play. Madness...

Yeh Aidan, my hairs pretty short, but I still had a fair go at pulling some of it out! Your right, 6 from 13 is pretty good, and I was starting to enjoy playing, but thats not the point. If I had won 50/50 and then this happened, I would feel the same.

I'm just amazed as to how everything can go so wrong so fast. I was playing 5 games and they all ended in the space of two minutes. I can't hack the ridiculous hands that I run into online, and the standard of play is just too bad.

The main reason I decided to give online another go was because I can see the potential for making a fair bit of money. But I just can't take advantage of the bad players. I get my money in ahead, donkey calls me with MUCK, gets lucky and wins. I can accept this the odd time, but when it happens again, and again, and again, it just makes me lose interest in playing this crap. I just can't take it seriously.

I saw a royal flush within 2 minutes of sitting down, and saw a poker about 5 hands later. The hand after that on the SAME table, I saw another lads house getting beaten by a straight flush. How are you meant to take this seriously?

I just can't get my head around this. I have absolutely no interest in playing online, and I don't know why I bothered giving it another go.

Cheers for the replies lads, and good luck. I'm sticking to only playing satellites in future
 
Fair enough Rory. They were severe beats in fairness and if its stressing you out so much and you just arent enjoying it theres no real point.
Your still an excellent player though and if you could ever put these feelings aside and absorb the bad beats and outdraws you would still be earning a profit even with this bad luck.
 
"I don't want this to turn into me moaning about bad beats" you say, and you go on to do just that
 
exactly. my post started off as me writing about my 'comeback' to playing online poker regularly. I hadn't planned on posting any bad beats, as I haven't done in months.

The reason the tone at the start of the post and the end are so different is due to the fact that I was playing PPP as I was writing it. I hadn't planned on posting anything to do with bad beats, but unforunately I was overwhelmed by the need to vent my frustration, as you can understand from what I posted.

As I already said, if you don't like reading bad beats, just scan over it. No-one's forcing you to read it...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Join DevilFish Poker!