Hit Counter

Friday, March 24, 2006

BSOP game and SE €50 DC

Boards Series of Poker

Two reports this week, starting off with the BSOP heat on Wednesday night. We played this in the Fitz and seven of the lads showed up. With three of the seven going through to the final, there was a good chance that it would be a short an uneventful game. However, with so many different styles of play clashing, I had a feeling we would have a good game! Along with myself, there was DeVore, Gholimoli, Ollieboy, White Knight, Waylander and ocallagh.

Firstly I'd better explain the format of the BSOP. We have a total of 27 players this year, which breaks down into three heats of 9 every month. The top three from each heat go through to the monthly final, and gain points accordingly. Each player pays €50 per month, €25 of which goes into that months final, with the other €25 going into the 'grand final'. This game is played at the end of the eight month run of the BSOP, based on the top 9 players of the leaderboard. I estimate the prizefund for this should be €3,000+, presuming most players play all 8 months.

Having not made it through my heat last month, I was determined to at least get a point on the board by making the monthly final! Valuewise, I would never pay €50 to play in a tournament with such a good standard of players, as no-one really expects to excel in such a good field. It's all about pride!

Anyway, I started off well, robbing a few pots here and there, trying to get an idea how everyone was playing. I've played with ocallagh and Dev a few times, and have some sort of an idea how they play, although I keep picking up bad reads on Dev... For instance, about an hour into this game I picked up AJc and raised it up to 200 (blinds 25/50). Dev instantly raised it up to 700, representing a big hand. Obviously I should have folded, but I was convinced he didn't want a caller, and had a medium PP, nines or tens. I flat called and when the flop came K J J, it was just a matter of how much I could extract from him. I got 500 off him on a flop bet, but he folded on the turn, showing QQ. Bad read there by me...

Later on in the game I folded 88 on a J 5 2 board, saying "I'm probably ahead..." Dev flipped over J5 shouting "you're never ahead!!". Ah well, I need to sort out my read on Dev, but at least I got him to show his hand! I think he's just resentful about my jamming him out of the charity tournament win when my J7 rivered his AJ... Skill Dev...skill...lol

Anyway, other than Dev, I seem to be doing alright on reading the rest of the lads. I havent played with Ehsan (Gholimoli) before, but I was examining his play a fair bit, and I picked up a few interesting little things on his play. I put my read to the the test when I got involved in a pot with him holding QJ. The flop came A Q x, and he bet out at it. I sat back and observed him doing something that he did when he bluff Niall (ocallagh) out of a pot earlier. He riased big on the turn, I flat called, and he raised even bigger on the river, which I also flat called. I didn't raise because I wasn't 100% sure of my read, and I was more interested in getting information on him than anything else. If I had raised at any stage and he went over the top of me, I would be left with a very tough decision, as I didn't know how he played. It seems my read was correct, and I took down the pot with middle pair, J kicker. Ehsan didn't seem too happy and clearly had expected me to drop the hand!

I built up a good chip lead, but lost a lot of this, when I pushed on a 567 flop with AK, which I had raised preflop. Ehsan made a good call with Q7, and doubled up off me, making him the new CL, a role he fell into quite easily! We still had 7 players after the first hour, but unfortunately someone had to go, and Niall (Waylander) was that man! Ocallagh followed soon after, and Dev not too long after him. Down to the bubble now, and play had gone a bit crazy as Ehsan had remembered that there was a $1000 freeroll for the top 54 players on Tribeca, and he had to finish up soom to make it home for it. This wouldn't be so bad if he was a shortstack, but he was monster CL! He was raising every pot, and totally dominating play.

Luckily I picked up QQ here, and decided to push, feeling that Ehsan would call either way. He eventually did, calling with Q5 hearts, actually not what I wanted to see! It's times like this when I'm sooo far ahead that the beats turn up. Sure enough, the flop came Q 4 7, two hearts. I had flopped trips, but as I expected the flush draw was out... turn brough 6c, so now the straight was possible too... AGGGHHH!... he needed any 3,8 or heart to knock me out, and THANKFULLY didn't get it.

Ehsan took a big blow there, and his impatience cost him the game a few hands later when he pushed with 10 J, and ran into White Knight's pocket nines, and Ollie's pocket Kings! I folded pocket threes! No miracle cards for Ehsan and unfortunately he's out in 4th. I don't think it bothers him, he went on to win the game he was rushing hime for! Nice one Ehsan!

So myself, Ollieboy and White Knight join the other qualifiers for this months final. Hopefully I can keep up my good form and place well in this, putting me high up the leaderboard! As it stands

Hyzepher - 12pts
Musician - 10pts
Gecko - 8pts
Fixer - 7pts
Davey Devil - 5pts
Norwichfan Rob - 4pts
White Knight - 3pts
NTL Bell - 2pts
Ollieboy - 1pt

I need to be in the top three to make any money, and more importantly, get some POINTS!



Sporting Emporium €50 Double Chance

I was persuaded to go down to this last night by afriend, although I really hadn't planned on it. Midweek poker is not really an option since I got this new job, especially Thursday nights, as I'm in work 6am-5pm on a Friday! Nonetheless, off I went to this game, as it it suits my bankroll, and is my preferred format, double chance. I like the Sporting Emporium, as I can relax when I'm playing there, something I could never do in the Merrion, and had only found in the Fitz before now.

Unfortunately, I nearly wasn't allowed in, as apparently I'm not a 'full member' yet as I haven't given in a drivers license or passport yet. Ok... so a garda ID and my fingerprint isin't enough then no?? I was amazed when the receptionist told me I'd have to come back another day, but after seeing the look on my face, the doorman said I could play tonight but next time I would HAVE to have a passport or drivers license. Thats fair enough. I'm all in favour of security, but its a little OTT. I mean, isin't the garda ID a legal document no? Its accepted everywhere else...

Anyway, I finally went upstairs and signed in for the game, and bumped into Nick from Vegasnights, and Culchie off boards. I started on table 5, and my friend started on table 4, right beside Nick. I looked around and recognised a few faces at other tables. It didn't take long to realise that the standard was terrible, something which can usually annoy me, as I usually get outdrawn and knocked out by one of these, but the SE is different. I had only played twice previously, making the final table once, and going out early the other time, entirely due to my own stupidity. It seems as If my bad luck doesn't run in the SE, and I can get a decent game out of the place.

I think we started with 52 players. I started well, getting my top up straight away, and bringing my 3K up to 4.5K in the first hour, mainly due to steals and reraising players when I knew they wouldn't risk calling. It is rare when I actually know I am the best player at the table (without sounding bigheaded), but this time I easily was. Not to say that some of the players were all too bad, but I feel I have learned so much in the last year, that I can finally control a table, knowing when and who to push against. There was a foreign lad at our table who was very easy to read, and who would chase any draw. I drained about 2K off him when I knew he was going for the flush draw, and priced him into calling big bets on the flop and turn. His quick fold on the river made it clear what he had been going for.

I was up to close to 5.5K when a bad ruling (IMO) cost me a good chunk of my stack. The pokerroom manager (I think) came to deal at our table, and was there about 20 minutes when I picked up 93o in the BB. MONSTER I know! Anyway, a few limpers and I checked it. Flop came A 9 4.Small blind check, and I felt he had nothing. He only had a small amount left, and I thought he would push if he had anything, as there was about 800 in the middle. UTG didn't look too happy with the flop, and I felt I could isolate the SB with a bet. I threw out 500, UTG quickly folded, and the SB thought about it and went all in, I think about 800 more. I looked at the dealer, and he said its on you, just the two of you, so I called, and flipped over my cards.

Out of nowhere the Chinese lad shouts "I still have cards!". Surely this is cheating? He hid his cards and let play pass him when I made my 500 bet. The SB the moved in and he waited until I exposed my cards until he announced he was still in the hand. Ruling? The dealer/manager ruled that I should have been keeping an eye on who was in the hand. And you shouldn't?? I f the dealer syas to me, "just the two of you left..." . Am I wrong to believe him? Surely its his responsibility to know who's still i a hand. And what about the Chinese lad? He had clearly been hiding his cards under his hands and let play pass him. Cheating no?

Anyway, he had only see my 3 as my 9 had been hidden underneath it, and he obviously pushed in. I had to fold and he showed A 5. The turn was a 5 and the river a 2. I would have made a straight, but thats not important. Once he saw my 3, he knew there was no other card I could have that was ahead of A5, so obvioulsy he pushed. The thing that annoys me is, I would never have thrown in the original 500 bet if I had known the Chinese lad was still in, as I was working off the other two players. AND I would never have called the SB's all in if I had known there was someone else in the hand.

Now I'm not annoyed that I lost the hand, or even that the dealer made a mistake (everyone makes mistakes), but I feel like I was cheated a bit, and also the dealer talked down to me after the hand as if I was some fcuking newbie, spouting some rule after the hand "it is a players responsibility to ensure....". Blah blah blah. Whaty about the dealers responsibility? If you aren't sure there's only two players left, dont fcuking say there is? I'm going to post this on boards and hopefully get a definitive ruling.

Luckily the break came soon after so my TILT didn't last too long! I was on 3.5K after the break, just above starting stack. My friend was doing well and he was up to 6K. Just before the break I saw DeDeraco get knocked out by Stormin Norm in a HUGE 3way pot when his KK was cracked by A10.... ffs Norm :)

I calmed myself down, and got my head together for the second half. We were down to 4 tables now, so still a long way to go. I had soon turned my 3.5K into just over 6K, with some good play, extracting the maximum amount from a pair of Jacks.

Then came the penultimate hand. I picked up AQ, and called a raise of 800, from a lad with about 4K. The flop came 775, and he instantly raised another 1K. I flat called, as I had seen him get away with this continuation bet earlier when I felt he was bluffing. The turn brought a blank which we both checked. I was willing to fold to any 10 J or K on the river, as I felt his likely holding contained one or more of these cards. I was sure he hadn't hit yet, and maybey should have bet the turn, but luckily when the river brought a blank, he pushed and I instantly called. He was obviously unhappy, flipping over KJ. My ace high won the pot, and I got a lot of respect from the other players, calling the whole way down for most of my stack with Ace high. I was glad my read turned out right, and was now doing nicely on over 10K.

I was then moved to table one, sitting right beside my friend! D'OH! He was doing quite well on about 13K. This is when things went downhill for me. I picked up 77 a few hands in, and called a big stacks raise of 1200, after it was obvious he was just trying to isolate a small stack, who sure enough went all in. The flop came K 3 4, and I bet out 1500, to isolate the all in guy. Sure enough the original raiser folded, but the other lad turned over 10 10! ah well, I was glad I was right in moving in against the big stack.

Unfortunately, these sevens were the best hand I would get for the next 2 hours. Totally card dead. I stayed patient waiting for a hand... and waiting. Blinded down to 6K, and I raised my SB with 10 2, hoping to take the 600 off the BB. Unfortunately he called. SHIT! Flop came 2 3 7, and I took a risk betting out 2K. Thankfully he folded, showing A6s, and I was back up to almost 8K. I didn't play a hand for another hour, not seeing anything even worth limping. I was looking for any spot to rob chips, but the table was pretty aggressive, and I just couldn't get into it. I lost half my stack when I ran into a very well played flopped flush, when he let me hit top pair. Blinds were 500/1K, and I was soon down to 3K ... I was looking for any spot to push and finally picked up A7. Worth pshing when you have 3BB! I got called by A7, and an even smaller stack (2.3K) called with A10!. No help, and the A10 tripled up and I split the side pot and got 1,200 back. Blinds at 500/1K.... ffs

I put my jacket on and waited for ANY hand to push on. I picked up Q4, and wasn't too confident but when it was raised up to 3K , I saw that with the SB and BB and one limper, and 1200 of his raise, if I pushed and was heads up with the raiser, I'm getting almost 4 to 1 on my money. I pushed and the raiser showed pocket tens. A queen on the flop and I was back in it with almost 5K! I doubled up again off the same lad a while later with A4 vs KQ, and was now back in it.

Unfortunately I was still not seeing any decent cards, and was soon blinded down again, but luckily squeezed onto the final table with about 5K. With blinds 800/1500, I had to make a move soon. I went to pick my seat number, hoping for anything but seat 2 (the big blind)... lo and behold, I pick seat 2! lol! My friend was in good shape on about 20K, and with 6 getting paid, he looked set to make the money.

First hand back, I'm BB, with 1500, out of 5K in the middle. I look down to see 52 and have to fold to the raiser, a rock who shows pocket Jacks. Next hand I see 24 and again have to fold to a raise. D'OH! Down to 1xBB again! A few hands later I picker up K 10, and its folded around to me. Only the button, SB, BB and one limper have to act, and with only 2800 left, I had to push. Folded around to the limper who calls with QQ, and the flop comes QKK! A miracle 10 on the turn pushes me up to almost 8K.

I rob the blinds a few hands later, and am soon up to just over 10K. I don't play a hand for a while, losing both blinds, until I pick up KK. A raise of 4K ahead of me, and I push for my remaining 4K. he calls, and "No ace" I ask the dealer, before the player turns over A9? Luckily I avoid an ace and am now safe enough on 15K. I lose 5K when I raise with AJ, and have to fold to an all in from a very good player, who had slowplayed the flush against me earlier. I think I was ahead this time, but he played me well either way. Unfortunately for him, I was on fire now, and just kept hitting everything! I pushed for my last 10K holding 10 10, only for him to show AA. a ten on the flop doubled me up to 20K and I was back in this!

We all agreed at this stage to pay the top 8, knocking a few quid off the top spots. Unfortunately this happened after Culchie went out in 9th, effectively the bubble! Unlucky mate! Knowing I was guaranteed €100 for 8th, I decided to go all out and play aggressively. I was on fire and the deck started hitting me in the face! Soon we were 5 handed, and I was very comfortable now, and aiming for 1st. Unfortunately, as soon as I started hitting cards, they dried up for my friend, and he exited in 5th after going card dead on the final table.

I knocked out another lad in 3rd after calling his all in with JJ. his 77 didn't hit and we were three handed. I was playing super aggressive now, and knocked out the other lad soon after, although I can't remember the exact hand. Heads up, and I had about a 2 to 1 chip lead over him. I dominated him heads up and was raising any flop I could see he didn't hit.

I doubled him up after calling his all in holding 66 vs 99, but still had a good lead over him. I made a good move when he raised the flop of QJ6, 12K (blinds 3K/ 6K), and I went over the top with 20K holding 84o. I knew he hadn't hit the J or Q, and felt it was withe a 6 or a pocket pair. He duly folded and wasn't happy when I showed him the bluff. I had a big chip lead over him now, and when I called his all in with K9 hearts vs his Q5 hearts, I was confident the end was near... Unfortuantely a Q on the flop, and were back to even in stacks. At this point he offered a deal which would see us get €1,000 each. I agreed on the condition that I was the winner! He agreed, and we finished up at 3am. I took my money and headed straight home, as I was in work at 6am!

All in all, a good days work, and another live win under my belt. Very happy with how I am playing live at the moment, and hopefully I will get a chance to prove this in a big game sometime soon.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Join DevilFish Poker!