Hit Counter

Thursday, April 20, 2006

BSOP final and Fitz €20 rebuy

BSOP March Final

I organised the March Final of the Boards Series of Poker for last night. We were obviously due to play this in March, but its so hard to find a time and day when everyone's available. I think the structure of it is going to have to be changed if we are going to keep playing it.

Anyway, I sorted it out to play it last night at 8pm in the Fitz. Myself, Ollie and White Knight had made it through our heat, and we were meeting Iago, Hyzepher and Davey Devil in the final. The other heat never managed to get their heat played. I tried to find a day to suit all 6, but unfortunately Davey couldn't make the day that was easiest for everyone else.

So last night, I set up the table and decided to make it deep stacked to get a decent game out of it. I gave everyone a starting stack of 3000 with 20 minute blinds starting at 25/50. I thought this would make for a decent game. Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out as planned...

The FIRST hand of the night, I pick up 5c6c and limp in. Everyone limps in and we see a flop of K34 rainbow. Not a bad flop for me, but I'm not planning on risking a lot with just an open ender. Hyzepher opens with a bet of 100, which is quickly called by Iago. I also flat call, and I think Ollie and White Knight fold. I don't think I was calling any bet over 200 here.

Anyway, the turn brings a beautiful 7. Lovely! At this point I thought Hyzepher had a decent hand, maybe AK. I felt Iago had two pair, maybe K3 or 34. It didn't look like either had hit the turn, not that it really mattered with me holding the NUTS! The river was a 9, so now it was just a matter of maximising value on the hand. Hyzepher opened for 300, which was raised to 600 by Iago. I felt there was no point in messing about, and pushed. Hyzepher quickly called, and the decision was now on Iago. Ollie and White Knight were having a great laugh at this stage! Two all ins on the first hand! Iago finally ended up calling aswell...

Hyzepher KK
Iago 44

Absolute madness... I set up a deepstacked game with decent blinds and we get 3 all-ins on the first hand! Sorry lads... I'm rigged. Was looking forward to a decent game too. Ah well! Down to three and we were already on the 'bubble' after only one hand! Deal anyone? lol! I had a 3:1 chip lead over the other two, and the obvious thing to do was play aggressive. I did this, raising almost every pot (sometimes before looking at my cards!). It was working until I went over the top of White Knight with an all in holding J3... he called with JJ! D'OH! I almost got lucky with a straight, but unfortunately my aggressiveness and stupidity doubled him up...

We messed about for a while and I was pushing every few hands when I felt neither of them had anything. I was picking up the odd nice hand and doing the same, pushing hoping one of them one think I was stealing. Eventually this worked when I pushed with AJ and got called by Ollie's K10. My hand held up and we were heads up. I took control from here and pushed White Knight off a few hands with super aggressive play, and soon enough it was all over, with me taking 1st. Not the most exciting game I've ever played, but I'll take the glory anyway! And the €250 ain't bad either...


Fitz €20 re-buy

This had just started when we finished the BSOP game, and because there was only 4 tables, I said I may aswell give it a go. I started off very good, making some good calls against weak opponents. Other than Norm, the standard at my table was terrible. I've never played this tournament before, as its got such a small buy-in, and because I'm not mad about re-buy tournaments.

In one hand I picked up K7 in the BB and got in for cheap. The flop came down KK9, and I threw in 300 after in was checked around to me. It was folded around to Norm who pushed for about 2K. Normally this would be an insta-call, but Norman knows me, and knows I won't push with muck. Also the check-raise screams of AK or KQ. I already had 300 out of 1500 in and I still had outs to split or win the pot. I eventually called with the usual line "sure its a rebuy... I may aswell!" (I'm pretty sure in a decent buy-in game I'm folding this here). As expected, Norm turns over K10. I actually thought he was stronger than this, but he's still ahead. I can tell that everyone at the table is pretty surprised with how long I took to call... so at least I've gained something if I lose the pot. The turn brings an 8, and I hit one of my 6 outs on the river (9) to split the pot.

Im motoring along nicely now and triple through against two very loose/weak players when I slowplay my trips into their obvious overpairs. I lose two big pots with AQ, both times vs KK on a Queen high flop, although I should have gotten away from the second one, as he was a total rock. I got my top up at the break, and came back with about 4K. Unfortunately, the cards dried up again, and for over an hour I couldn't find any sort of playable hand. This happened the last time I was in the Fitz at the €30 f/o, and it really tests your patience...

There was a young Indian lad at our table that clearly had somewhere better to be, and he started raising blind every hand. This is fair enough, it makes the game a little more interesting! However, its not cool to announce every hand "I'll make it 1000 on the blind.... I'll make it 2500 on the blind...". What, are we meant to think your cool because you can put you chips in without looking at your cards? omg your brilliant...

This idiot kept on doing this and grinning as if he'd just re-invented the wheel... I was dying to pick up ANY hand to take him on... He sucked out on someone with muck and doubled up to table chip leader. A few hands later I look down at 44, and I'm saying that I'll probably push if this idiot raises, as he could have any two cards, and I'm willing to race against two overs as I need a double up to be in contention for a good cash. As expected he does his usual "I'll make it 1000 on the blind...". I'm about to push when Norm gets in ahead of me! Shit... I look at Norm and I know he doesn't have a strong hand. He's giving the impression of strength, but I can tell he's not holding much. After a LOOONG dwell up I finally fold, mainly because I know that the other idiot will call with anything, and while I would fancy my chances vs Norm or the other lad, I don't like my chances with 44 in a three way pot.

The idiot calls with 79o... Norm has 33! He is ahead until the river when a nasty 7 falls to knock him out. He's not too happy to be on the wrong side of a bad beat (for once!). This lad continues raising blind until a big stack moves to the table and knocks him out. I'm annoyed I didn't get the chance to double up off him...all I needed was a hand. Ah well...

I still don't pick up a hand for another half hour, and my stack dwindles down to just over 2K. I find A8 in LP and its an autopush. Unfortunately the BB wakes up with AK. We see a flop of AK4, and it looks like Im leaving the Fitz early after another card dead night... I put my jacket on, and we all have a little laugh when an 8 hits the turn... This laughter turns to shock when another 8 hits the river...ffs. The smallest buy-in tournament I've played all year, and I get the luckiest I've gotten in a long time! Why couldn't this happen in a big game!

I'm up to 5K after that lucky hand, but unforunately the cards don't improve. I get up to 10K on an all in bluff, after a raise and a reraise from two medium stacks. I knew that due to my being card dead, these players thought I was a rock, and I must have the goods. Also they were medium stacks and my stack would do a bit of damage. We were down to 10, and just about to break for the final table, so it was a calculated move on my part that paid off.

I was looking forward to the final table, because even though I was shortstacked, I had built up an image of a tight player, which I could start to use now. I also had respect from a few of the players who had been on my table all night, as i had guessed a few hands right, and it just so happened that I was right every time! I correctly guessed the exact hands of three players who had ended up all-in earlier, which definitely earned me respect at the table. I think reading players hands is easily the best part of my game, which is probably why I don't like online play so much. If only I could improve the other parts of my game, I think I could be a much better player. I'm not great at spotting betting patterns, and I've no real clue about bet sizing. These are two aspects of my game I HAVE to improve.

We had 9 at the final table with 6 being paid, from €70 for 6th, to €800 + €100 credit for 1st. I had about 12K, and the chip leader had about 40K. We were soon down to 8, after the two chip leaders clashed with QQ vs A9, after he spiked an ace on the flop. The CL then knocked out 8th, and we were on the bubble. Gecko from boards was a railbird, and the shortstack was his Dad (i think!). Unfortunately he went out on the bubble!

In the money now, but I was aiming for top 3. I doubled up with KK against the chip leader and was now up to 20K. A while later I picked up QQ and beat AJ all in preflop. An Ace on the flop had my heart racing but a Q on the river sealed his fate. The very next hand I look down at AQs, and the other shortstack pushes ahead of me! When it rains it pours eh... He has AJ and my hand holds up and we're down to 4. Im second in chips now, but feel I can bully this table if I am aggressive. The remaining players are good enough, but I feel I can outplay them, as I have a fair idea of how they play. I start raising big preflop and steal the blinds for a while and buld my stack up to over 50K.

Unfortunately I then get a visit from the stupid fairy... I pick up A8h and limp in for 3K (blinds 1,5K/3K). The flop comes 982 rainbow, and the SB pushed for about 20K. I picked up a tell on this lad earlier where he tapped his chips on top of each other when he didn't fancy his hand. I had seen him do this twice earlier, and both times he had a medium holding. I felt he had J8/Q8.
With 9K already in from the blinds, and him pushing for another 20K, I felt I was ahead.

I called and he flipped over K9, saying "you're ahead... A9 right?"... emmm, no... What was I doing? I think I was right in my read on him, as he really did think he was behind when he saw me debating a call. However, what I didn't factor in was that I had only shown premium hands, and the chances were if I was debating a call I probably was ahead. A bit confusing I know, but basically I mean that I never thought about what image he had of me. I was right in thinking he didn't want me to call, but I never thought of how my tight image would raise my hand value in his mind.

Anyway, I din't hit my A or 8, and I'm down to 30K. The next hand i pick up 99 and raise it up to 10K. The BB thinks about it, and eventually flat calls. The flop comes KQx, and he bets 10K... ----! I think he's gone in with K5 or some muck, and have to fold. Down to 20K now, and when I pick up 66 I instantly push. Not a bad move 4 handed, but totally tilt induced. The CL calls with AK, an ace on the flop and thats all she wrote. Out in 4th for €200, and very annoyed for not getting further. Probably the worst final table I've ever played. Sure, I came back from shortstack to get to almost chip leader, but I should have walked all over them 4 handed...

Ah well, €450 profit for the night, and a few points on the BSOP leaderboard!

I then went over to the roulette wheel to donate some money back, but strangly I actually won... In a moment of madness, I tried to put the whole lot on red (€450!), but unfortunately the max bet was €250. Taking this as 'bad luck', I ended up throwing €200 on 3rd 12, €200 on 2nd 12, €25 on the middle column, and €25 on...... black :) Oh and of course €1 on 7 (lucky number!) and €1 on zero...just in case! Total outlay of €452...

The ball spun around and I was beginning to regret putting any money on in the first place..."WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING RISKING ALL MY WINNINGS!".... I was about to reach for the chips and take them off when the dealer shouted those fateful words "NO MORE BETS!"... its in the hands of the gods now...

around and around it spun.... bouncing from red to black... finally landing on 1! aghghh Ive lost it all! No wait!" Its bounced into 20! I've won on everything! The dealer fetched my winnings, €725, and I realised how close I had come to losing it all... one little bounce of the ball and I'm €725 richer... one bounce the other way and Im down €452... crazy

The thing that freaked me out the most was... what if the croupier had allowed me to put the €450 on red? I would be cursing my luck that the ball rolled out from number 1 into horrible number 20, and cursing and my stupidity at making such a bet... Instead, I'm driving home with a smile on my face, and €725 richer... funny game that...

Comments:
Man you so craiza
All on the roulette wheel!!!
Im glad you won but Jaaaaaasuuuuss!!!
 
I know... stooopid! Ah well! It was pure skill obviously...
 
You're an idiot.
 
ah mr anonymous... still havent got the balls to post under your own name?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Join DevilFish Poker!